DONATE NOW! SANDY SURVIVORS NEED YOUR HELP.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

MEMORIAL DAY

Is May really over already?

This time of year symbolizes many things for me…the warmer weather, the longer days, the excitement of breaking out the skorts and jelly shoes!

No wait, that was 1987…I meant tunics and sandals.

I’m sooooooo looking forward to some BBQs this weekend and a fine forecast for the beach on Monday.
To many people, including myself, Memorial Day is about taking a day off to chill out with friends and family.

This year, I’m making it my business to really think about the reason the holiday exists- to honor all the people who have sacrificed their lives so we get to live the way we do- and to appreciate every moment of Monday in that context.


Strange to say but thankfully, no one I know personally is serving in the military, so I can’t even imagine what that’s like.

Nor can I imagine a life where BBQs and bathing suits, among other things, are forbidden.


As we go on with our everyday lives, other people are out there putting theirs on hold and on the proverbial line.

I think if it’s not in our faces we tend forget the profound reality of that. Sometimes the thought is too much.

I’m incredibly thankful for the freedom I have in my life and I intend to acknowledge that more often.

The ability to make simple life choices is a luxury some people just don’t have and we should never take that for granted.

So as you sip your beer, grill your burger and soak up the sun this weekend, instead of bitching about gas prices, take a moment to really appreciate it all.

Aside from joining the military, the best we can do to honor the men and women who died for our way of life is to live ours with love, gratitude and integrity. 

AND TO ALL THE MILITARY FAMILIES OUT THERE...THANK YOU!!!
Have a very merry, very safe and especially free Memorial Day Weekend!
xoxo 




No comments:

Post a Comment