DONATE NOW! SANDY SURVIVORS NEED YOUR HELP.

Monday, August 6, 2012

GRATITUDE: The ANTI-depressant

LOVE this simple yet powerful quote by Karen Salmansohn


Mondays can be rough. Getting back into the swing of things after the weekend sometimes requires more motivation than we're willing to muster up, especially on a few short hours of sleep. 

I was beyond exhausted last night, but just couldn't fall asleep... overtired I guess. 
At 130AM, I gave in and started reading. 

One of several books I'm reading (and committed to actually finishing) is called Once Beneath The Stars

It's an incredibly moving novel from first time writer R.S. Lentin, based on the life of a star football player who gets injured and becomes paralyzed from the neck down. Heavy. 

I sometimes wonder why I'm reading something so sad. It's interesting though, with every page of agonizing detail, there's also something beautiful and poetic. 

Mostly what I'm getting is GRATITUDE... appreciation for the gift of simply being here, being able to move, walk, dance, sing, drive, run, hug, feel, feed/bathe/dress myself... I could go on and on. 

Reading the heartbreaking words of agony and frustration even has me appreciating the mundane things I usually complain about... like traffic, bills and even the cramps I've been getting in my legs at night.  

We tend to get so caught up running on the hamster wheel that we miss the big picture. 


We are SO lucky. 

Life is precious. It's a gift. Every single breath is a gift. Practice being thankful for that alone, and you will find peace in just being.   

Wherever you are in your day, your life, your state of mind... the fastest, surefire way to get in the zone is GRATITUDE... for the big things, for the little things, and for everything in between. 
So here goes... 

This morning I'm grateful for:
1-central AC
2-hazelnut coffee
3-the sun being out
4-my arms, legs, and internal organs working perfectly (or so they seem to be)
5-completing the 21-day meditation challenge without skipping a day!
*Check out this earlier list I posted a few months back, may spark something for you.

GRATITUDE is defined as the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation for and to return kindness.

Give some, get some. Get some, give some. 
Simple. NO EXCUSES.

Have a GRATEful week!!!
XOXO
    






No comments:

Post a Comment