DONATE NOW! SANDY SURVIVORS NEED YOUR HELP.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

SUMMER STAPLES

In honor of the first day of summer, I'd like to share a few of my favorite budget-friendly things...

TARGET (I affectionately pronounce it Tar-jay): Best store ever! I recently purchased the majority of my summer wardrobe there and I have no shame whatsoever.
Got great stuff that looks expensive but isn't...including a sexy summer dress for $17 and a pair of hot suede heels that were clearanced for under $7! Score!!! 
The pros: Cute, trendy clothes and accessories, many lines now offered by top designers, at incredibly reasonable prices. I sound like an advertisement. You definitely have to sift through but it's beyond worth it.
The cons: It's like the price club...even if you go in for one or two things it's hard to walk out without a trunk full. You get what you pay for so don't expect it to last forever. Although, most of what I've gotten has lasted just as long as pricier purchases.

San Pellegrino Limonata & Aranciata: Best summer drink! Combine a little (or a lot) Grey Goose, Ketel or even Patron with either the lemon (limonata) or orange (aranciata) for a crazy good cocktail.
The pros: Easy, delicious, refreshing, sparkling, intoxicating.
The cons: Easy, delicious, refreshing, sparkling...intoxicating. They go down REALLY quickly so don't say I didn't warn you. 


Spray Tan: Ok, I've mentioned it a few times already and once again I have no shame. Yes, I use it and yes, I love it. If there was one thing I could change it would probably be my skin pigment. It is possible for me to tan (I use the word "tan" loosely), but I have to bake in the sun consistently for long periods of time.
The pros: For $10-$12, you can now spray it on yourself as opposed to paying $75 to have someone else do it at a salon. I use L'Oreal Sublime Bronze spray.
Some people prefer the cloth wipes but I think the spray is easier to apply evenly. It also doesn't rub off as easily as a spray from the salon. It lasts several days so just spray a few times a week and you're good to go. I also use the Jergens daily moisturizer in between. 
The cons: Even with recent improvements, it can still have a slightly orange undertone. I guess I prefer that to being pasty white. Hopefully the day will come when "bronze" actually means bronze.

Coconut water: My mother discovered this one and I love it.
The pros: It's the best drink for hydration and I love the taste. It's super healthy...fat-free, cholesterol-free, low-calorie and rich in anti-oxidants. Apparently Madonna owns Vita Coco. If it's good enough for her, it's good enough for me. I also hear it's great for hangovers. Might wanna keep some by your bedside.
The cons: It aint cheap. Costs about $2-$3 for a juice box. Bet Target sells it for less. I wouldn't pound a case of it though...it can also be a natural diuretic. Thankfully I haven't had that problem.


Essie Nail Polish: My friends and fam will laugh when they read this. For years I refused to wear anything colorful. I strictly stuck to muted taupes and darker browns and purples. I finally stepped out of the box and now wear the brightest colors I can find. It's fun for the summer.
The pros: Tons of great colors. The polish is easy to apply so I can actually do it myself when I can't get to the salon or wanna save some cash. The colors last longer than most brands.
The cons: None really. They're typically $8 a bottle but it's worth it if you actually use it. My color of the moment is long stem roses.

LBD: Not little black dress, LONG black dress.
Got mine last year for $20 (forgot where...probably Target!) and all but lived in it on my Europe trip.
Pros: Great for day or night. Super comfortable. Wear with flats, heels, a jacket, over a bathingsuit, etc., etc.
Cons: None.

Happy happy summer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment