DONATE NOW! SANDY SURVIVORS NEED YOUR HELP.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Grow dammit!



AS HUMAN BEINGS, we all have the desire to do better... to be better.

For those of us who make the effort to open up, take a hard look, and gain awareness about ourselves, it's only the beginning of the process of change.

It took me ages to really get that for myself.

I used to think it was enough to be aware of the things I wanted to change.

That awareness is huge. Nothing can happen without it. 

Awareness leads to great insight. But it takes more than insights to create real change. 

It takes action. Not once. Not here and there. Consistent, persistent action. 

That was a tough pill to swallow as someone who used to be more of a thinker than a doer.

When it comes to personal growth, we're often tempted to get impatient, especially when we see something in ourselves that needs to change. 

Sometimes we pretend not to be aware so we can avoid responsibility (aka denial), even as that little voice in our heads is actively calling us out.

We want the instant gratification. Grow dammit!


But like everything else, it takes hard work. Persistent, consistent work.

It can be frustrating when a bad habit stubbornly lingers, especially after putting in the work to change it.

What you should know from the start is that certain tendencies and temptations may never go away. They'll always linger.

That's what makes us all imperfectly perfect.

The challenge is in choosing to indulge something better for yourself in those moments of temptation.

This applies to everything...

-physical habits like picking up that bag of chips
-thought habits like constantly thinking you're not good enough for XYZ 
-communication habits like talking shit about co-workers, family members, etc.

If you're really committed to changing something, get ready for battle, but know that the longer you stick to your guns, the stronger you'll be in the fight. 

And know the most important weapon in your arsenal is patience.

When we tend to ourselves with care and compassion, we're more equipped to put our best foot forward in whatever it is we're striving for. 

It doesn't mean letting ourselves off the hook. It just means not beating ourselves up, and choosing instead to own it, recommit, and move forward. 

Pretty soon you'll be looking back in wonder at how much you've outgrown that little ole pot you were planted in. 


MOJO NEWSFLASH!
***Tune in today at 2PM to hear my live interview on SpeakSpin Radio! If you miss it, you'll be able to download after. 
***Check out my new post about speechwriting for WORD-OLOGY!

2 comments:

  1. Let me start off by saying great work on the Blog! I have known littlemissMojo for over 25 years now and although I don't see her that often, she will always be a lifelong friend. I for one am aware of a few aspects about myself that need to be changed and for me to "grow dammit." You are 100% right when you say that being cognizant of a desired change isn't quite enough. What plan will we set forth, and transition from this state of awareness to action? I for one haven't figured that out yet, but I will one day, and try my best not to be too hard on myself if I fail.
    Sincerely,
    BlueEyedManWithAPlan

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing blueeyedman!!!... we do go back a long way so I know you can appreciate my growth more than most. I love that you're set on taking action and having a grand master plan for change, but keep in mind that you don't need to figure it all out at once. It's sometimes the small steps done consistently that have the greatest impact. Pick one thing that keeps popping up for you. Whatever it is, commit to working on it and take action at every opportunity. Remember to be patient with yourself, AND that it can never be a failure if you're in the process of working on it. The only failure is calling it quits. xo

    ReplyDelete