DONATE NOW! SANDY SURVIVORS NEED YOUR HELP.

Friday, January 27, 2012

NEW YEAR, NEW LEAP!

One of my biggest resolutions this year is to do more of the things I always say I want to do but never get around to for one reason or another.

There's nothing I value more and nothing I'd rather spend my money on than experiences.

When I think of my life, those are the things that my memory references.

I've contemplated my bucket list but the thought of doing things before you die gives the impression (if you're on the younger side) that you have a lifetime to check things off the list.

Therein lies the problem, at least for me. Too much time can be a bad thing. I need a deadline!

I also used money and travel as an excuse.

It's definitely challenging to be active in NYC when you're trying to save your pennies, but there are things that won't break the bank.

And it can be challenging (and annoying) to venture into the city from SI, but there are things out there waiting to be experienced...if I'm willing to get out there and make it happen.

There's a long list of things I've been wanting to do for years...learn to ride a motorcycle, visit Maine for some lobster, take a hip-hop performance class, drive cross country.





I recently heard the term leap listyoung cousin of the bucket list...it's a compilation of things you want to do earlier in life, preferably before you "settle down."

My new philosophy is there should always be a list. It keeps us excited, inspired, and focused on the things that we're passionate about in this life.

And it forces us to stop and ask questions like, "What do I enjoy doing? What's fun, relaxing, interesting to me?

So I decided it was time to silence the shit-talker in me, and actually put effort into checking more things off my list.

And just like that, the next day a friend called to invite me to a Russian bath house.

Who knew there were bath houses in NYC? Uh, not me.

Wednesday night at a Russian bath house? Had a scandalous ring to it for obvious reasons. 

It wasn't the first time I got the invite, but it was the first time I really considered going.

I was about to go into my story about why I didn't want to trek into the city and wasn't prepared for a last minute thing...and then I stopped myself.

It was a perfect opportunity to do something new and different and fun...exactly what I said I wanted.

I wanted to be adventurous but I was a little squeamish at first...

ME: "Is it clean?"

HIM: "Yes, it's clean. It's not a traditional spa but I've taken germaphobes there and they've been fine." 

ME: "What exactly is it and what goes on there? 

HIM: "Don't worry, I've seen Victoria's Secret supermodels and Russell Simmons there."

ME: "Well, I guess if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me."

So I decided to be spontaneous and jump on the invitation. I had no plans that Wednesday night, so why not?

I got bathingsuit-ready and met my friend at Wall Street Bath and Spa downtown on Fulton Street.

I wasn't sure what to expect. It definitely wasn't your typical spa but it was less intimidated than I expected.

There were different areas for different things.

I changed into my bathingsuit, and found my friend sitting in a room of men in their bathingsuits. They all congregated at tables, sipping everything from beer to tea. Interesting.

There was a healthy mix of man candy among the general population, and I suddenly thought this wasn't such a bad idea.

We got started right away and my friend walked me through each phase of the process.

1st: the sauna. DRY. HOT. REALLY HOT. SWEATY.
2nd: the freezing cold plunge pool. COLD. REALLY F-ING COLD!
3rd: the freezing cold shower. EVEN COLDER!

Rinse & repeat the cycle...3 more times. Crazy!

Russian sauna

cold plunge pool

Then...the turkish sauna: MORE HEAT. MORE SWEAT. BUCKETS OF ICE WATER DUMPED OVER YOUR HEAD. RUBBING COFFEE GRINDS WITH HONEY & LEMON ALL OVER OUR SKIN.

Rinse & repeat:

Turkish sauna
(umm, my bucket of cold water experience wasn't nearly as seductive)  

THIS TIME, AN IMPROMPTU MASSAGE ON THE SAUNA TABLE FROM A FRIEND OF MY FRIEND, USING SOME WEIRD OIL-FILLED LEAF BRUSH THING AND EUCALYPTUS SCRUB. (All I can say is it didn't seem that weird at the time and I have no regrets.)

MORE BUCKETS OF ICE WATER.

The idea is to raise and lower your heart rate and ultimately equalize it. At least that's what my friend said.

He also said the experience would be better than sex. Not sure what kind of sex he's having but I wouldn't go that far.

I would say it was an amazing experience that was strangely exhilarating and relaxing at the same time.

After, we chilled out and drank tea at the tables.

Things I saw but didn't try: a huge pool, jacuzzi, restaurant and tanning salon. There was also a lounge area that looked like the VIP section of a trendy club.


A few similar places exist in the city but not sure what their stories are.

This one charges $32 for all day access. There are also packages and yearly memberships.
My friend had a pass for me so my entry was complimentary...score!

Not sure if or when I'll do it again, but I'm glad I can say I actually did it.

xoxo











No comments:

Post a Comment